Friday, July 9, 2010

Cradle Cap: Ewwww!!!!

Cradle cap is a skin condition that involves a yellowish, scaly rash on a babies scalp and face. It is usually caused by overactive sebaceous glands in the babies scalp. In all honesty, there's no big issue with cradle cap, but it's not fun to look at. In my case I just want to pick at Lola's scaly head every time I see it.

A picture of a baby with cradle cap. This isn't a mild case but it's definitely not the worst case that I have seen in pictures.

Because Lola's scales were so tempting a figured that it would be best to thwart my attempts to scratch at it by looking up a home remedy and trying it out. Most of the websites that I looked at said that you need to apply vasoline or baby oil, let it sit for 15 minutes and then brush their hair thoroughly before just shampooing their hair as usual. This process can be repeated a few times to help get rid of it over the course of a few weeks. This proved to be a very interesting, messy process. Lola really didn't mind and it definitely helped out a lot in the end. Her head was still a little oily even after we washed it so we'll probably end up washing her hair again tomorrow night, but as long as the scales were gone I don't really mind. Cradle cap be gone!!


The baby oil has been applied and Daddy is holding her so we can wait out the 15 minutes.


Lola munching on my arm while we wait. I guess she was getting hungry.


Still munching on Mommy's arm...must be pretty tasty!


Brushing out the flakes of skin...really wish that I had taken a picture of the comb. It was soooooo gross!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment